Required Skills and Abilities
- Thorough knowledge and understanding of public and media relations; excellent proofreading skills and use of proper grammar and punctuation
- Experience interacting with reporters, members of the public and government officials and agencies
- Knowledge of economic and community development
- Understanding of New Jersey’s social and political landscape
- Exceptional written, oral, interpersonal and presentation skills and the ability to effectively interface with a broad range of audiences including senior management, EDA Board of Directors, staff, government officials, business and industry partners, as well as individual customers and prospects
- Passion for EDA’s mission
- Customer focus
- Experience producing and editing digital media
- Adapts to changes in the work environment and manages competing demands
- Ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing; proficient in grammar, spelling and editing; and foster communications with business professionals and EDA staff
- Ability to prioritize workload, must be highly organized, detail-oriented, handle various tasks simultaneously and work independently within limited time constraints with little or no supervision
- Must be able to maintain confidentiality and deal effectively and diplomatically with business professionals and EDA staff
- Demonstrates respectful behavior and promotes teamwork and communication to encourage an interactive, cooperative, collaborative and customer focused work environment among division, EDA staff and external customers
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite and the ability to learn new software packages
Education and Experience Requirements
- Bachelor’s Degree in journalism, public relations or related field and/or equivalent professional experience
- Seven years’ experience preferred in communications or public relations
- Campaign or crisis communications experience preferred
- Bilingual a plus
Advanced degree or industry specific certifications may be substituted for 1 year of experience
- Accessibility after hours in order to respond to media inquiries
- Ability to work outside normal business hours, as needed
- As necessary to events, meetings, businesses, etc.
Certificates and Licenses Required
The examples of work for this title are for illustrative purposes only. A particular position using this title may not perform all duties listed in this job description. Conversely, all duties performed on the job may not be listed. This job description is intended to convey information essential to understanding the scope, general nature and level of work performed by job holders within this job. This job description is not intended to be an exhaustive list of qualifications, skills, efforts, duties, responsibilities or working conditions associated with the position.
Your employment at NJEDA is voluntary and subject to termination by you or NJEDA at will, with or without cause, or with or without notice, at any time. Nothing in this job description shall be interpreted to conflict, eliminate or modify the employment-at-will status of NJEDA employees.
This position is considered exempt and is excluded from minimum wage, overtime regulations, and other rights and protections afforded nonexempt workers under FLSA.
NJEDA reserves the right to amend/revise this job description as necessary to meet current and changing business needs.
Equal Opportunity Employer
- Foreign degrees/transcripts must be evaluated by a reputable evaluation service at your own expense and must be submitted prior to a start date. If this cannot be provided within 21 days of an offer the offer will be rescinded.
- Must comply with the “New Jersey First Act” which requires employees hired after September 1, 2011 to reside in New Jersey. Non-New Jersey resident employees must relocate to New Jersey within one year of their date of hire and provide proof of residency to Human Resources.
- Must complete an Outside Activity Questionnaire (disclosure of outside office or employment) on an annual basis.