This position is responsible for the strategic direction of all real estate activities of the Authority, leading the team in managing projects from conception to closing. Areas of oversight include the Authority’s real estate holdings, the activities involved in redeveloping the former Fort Monmouth properties, and efforts and opportunities related to public-private partnerships, transit-oriented development, brownfields redevelopment, historic preservation. Provides expertise to inform program design and utilization for development-related incentive programs. This position will guide and mentor transaction negotiations to maximize return to the EDA, achieve policy objectives and meet the State’s overall strategic economic development plan. This position will be a member of the EDA’s senior leadership team, reporting directly to the Chief Executive Officer.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
Strategy & Vision
• Advise the CEO and other key members of senior management on real estate and development efforts and opportunities. Direct oversight of the Authority’s Real Estate Division and supervisor of the Executive Director of the Fort Monmouth Economic Revitalization Authority.
• Serve as resource to the Board of Directors and partner agencies on real estate and development activities.
• Represent the organization externally, as necessary.
• Contribute to the development of EDA’s strategic goals and objectives as well as the overall management of the organization.
• Lead the team in managing real estate and development projects from conception to closing, including project financial analysis, procurement, transaction negotiations and developer selection and project entitlements.
• Direct the implementation of projects to meet the EDA’s fiscal and policy objectives and oversee development of transaction project pipeline to ensure ongoing delivery of new economic development projects.
• Present or oversee presentation of projects to relevant stakeholders.
• Oversee, direct and organize the work of the Real Estate Division and FMERA.
• Promote a culture of high performance, collaborative cross-functional teams and continuous improvement that values learning and a commitment to quality.
• Ensure staff members receive timely and appropriate training and development.
• Establish and monitor staff performance and development goals, assign accountabilities, set objectives, establish priorities, conduct annual performance appraisals and administer salary adjustments.
Required Skills and Abilities
• In-depth knowledge of real estate development practices and economic development and planning policy.
• Understanding of property and facility management, construction and design issues, and urban planning.
• Knowledge of regulatory and permitting issues surrounding real estate development.
• Strong project management skills.
• Ability to interpret regulations, develop processes, and have a high attention to detail.
• High level analytical skills, excellent judgment and creative problem-solving skills, negotiation and conflict resolution skills.
• Knowledge of state government entities and requirements
• Actively supports and aligns work with EDA’s current strategic imperatives
• Provides sound financial stewardship of the organization’s assets and controls expenses whenever possible
• Energetic, flexible, collaborative and proactive; a leader who can positively and productively impact both strategic and tactical initiatives
• Strong mentoring, coaching experience to lead a team with diverse levels of expertise and focus
• Superior management skills, ability to influence and engage direct and indirect reports and peers
• Entrepreneurial team player who can multitask
• Passion for EDA’s mission
• Customer focus
• Responsive to changing policy and economic trends
• Exceptional written, oral, interpersonal and presentation skills and the ability to effectively interface with a broad range of audiences including senior management, EDA Board of Directors, staff, government officials, business and industry partners, as well as individual customers and prospects
• Adapts to changes in the work environment and manages competing demands
• Initiates procedures, guidelines and programs; prioritizes and develops realistic action plans
• Ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing; proficient in grammar, spelling and editing; and foster communications with business professionals and EDA staff
• Ability to prioritize workload, must be highly organized, detail-oriented, handle various tasks simultaneously and work independently within limited time constraints with little or no supervision
• Must be able to maintain confidentiality and deal effectively and diplomatically with business professionals and EDA staff
• Demonstrates respectful behavior and promotes teamwork and communication to encourage an interactive, cooperative, collaborative and customer focused work environment among division, EDA staff and external customers
• Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite and the ability to learn new software packages
EDA Leadership Profile
Education and Experience Requirements
Certificates and Licenses Required
The examples of work for this title are for illustrative purposes only. A position using this title may not perform all duties listed in this job description. Conversely, all duties performed on the job may not be listed. This job description is intended to convey information essential to understanding the scope, general nature and level of work performed by job holders within this job. This job description is not intended to be an exhaustive list of qualifications, skills, efforts, duties, responsibilities or working conditions associated with the position.
Your employment at NJEDA is voluntary and subject to termination by you or NJEDA at will, with or without cause, or with or without notice, at any time. Nothing in this job description shall be interpreted to conflict, eliminate or modify the employment-at-will status of NJEDA employees.
This position is considered exempt and is excluded from minimum wage, overtime regulations, and other rights and protections afforded nonexempt workers under the FLSA.
NJEDA reserves the right to amend/revise this job description as necessary to meet current and changing business needs.
Equal Opportunity Employer