The position will serve as an advisor on macro- and micro-economic issues, data analysis, and economic development strategies. Will assist with net-benefit models and other estimating models, conduct long- and short-term research on economic trends, and provide analytic support for the EDA’s initiatives relating to financing, incentives, real estate, and business development.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
• Direct and assist in the preparation of analyses, reports, and other materials for policy and research projects.
• Aid senior staff with policy initiatives which can include downloading and assembling data sets; preparing charts, tables, and presentations; creating and maintaining spreadsheets; using statistical, econometric and other software packages to perform analyses, model estimation and simulations; and assisting in the preparation of memos.
• Present and maintain data in attractive, user-friendly formats; run simulations and estimating models; and analyze datasets with the use of statistical, econometric and other software packages.
• Supports the Director and SVP by partnering with relevant stakeholders to ensure policies are developed and advanced to support EDA’s mission and commitment to transparency and fiduciary accountability. Stakeholders include the Governor’s Office, elected officials, sister agencies, business trade organizations, and members of the public.
• Establishes, communicates and tracks against key metrics for strategic initiatives.
• Assists in the development of process enhancements internally and externally with sister agencies in support of collaboration on strategic programs and projects.
• Promotes teamwork and communication to encourage an interactive, cooperative, collaborative and customer-focused work environment among division, EDA staff and external customers.
• Performs other duties and special projects, as assigned.
Required Skills and Abilities
• Comprehensive knowledge of economic analysis techniques, including applied econometrics, and experience engaging in primary and secondary research, interpreting data, and performing original empirical analyses.
• A strong understanding of the strengths and limitations of economic development strategies and theories and analysis of market externalities.
• Strong project management skills, including the ability to lead research and manage multiple projects simultaneously.
• Ability to write clearly, and work collaboratively with interdisciplinary team of lawyers, researchers, communications staff, and senior management.
• Ability to work in a fast-paced environment.
• Demonstrated knowledge of economic and community development.
• Exceptional written, oral and interpersonal skills and the ability to effectively interface with a broad range of stakeholders, including senior managements, EDA Board of Directors, staff, government officials, business and industry partners, as well as individual customers and prospects.
• Must be able to maintain confidentiality and deal effectively and diplomatically with business professionals and EDA staff.
• Demonstrates respectful behavior and promotes teamwork and communication to encourage an interactive, cooperative, collaborative and customer-focused work environment among division, EDA staff and external customers.
• Ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing; proficient in grammar, spelling and editing; and foster communications with business professionals and EDA staff
• Ability to prioritize workload, must be highly organized, detail-oriented, handle various tasks simultaneously and work independently within limited time constraints with little or no supervision
• Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite and the ability to learn new software packages
• Demonstrated experience in using large databases and statistical packages (Stata, Matlab, SAS, R, Gauss,TSP, RATS, PROCSQL), or other significant computer programming experience (Java, C++, Mathematica etc.).
Education and Experience Requirements
• Bachelor’s degree in Economics and/or equivalent professional experience
• Minimum 7 years of experience in industry, consulting, government or academic research, including prior experience applying economics to public policy.
Advanced degree or industry specific certification may be substituted for 1 year of experience
• Ability to work outside normal business hours, as needed
• As necessary to events, meetings, businesses, etc.
Certificates and Licenses Required
• Valid driver’s license
The examples of work for this title are for illustrative purposes only. A particular position using this title may not perform all duties listed in this job description. Conversely, all duties performed on the job may not be listed. This job description is intended to convey information essential to understanding the scope, general nature and level of work performed by job holders within this job. This job description is not intended to be an exhaustive list of qualifications, skills, efforts, duties, responsibilities or working conditions associated with the position.
Your employment at NJEDA is voluntary and subject to termination by you or NJEDA at will, with or without cause, or with or without notice, at any time. Nothing in this job description shall be interpreted to conflict, eliminate or modify the employment-at-will status of NJEDA employees.
This position is considered exempt and is excluded from minimum wage, overtime regulations, and other rights and protections afforded nonexempt workers under FLSA.
NJEDA reserves the right to amend/revise this job description as necessary to meet current and changing business needs.
Equal Opportunity Employer
• Must comply with the “New Jersey First Act” which requires employees hired after September 1, 2011 to reside in New Jersey. Non-New Jersey resident employees must relocate to New Jersey within one year of their date of hire and provide proof of residency to Human Resources.
• Must complete an Outside Activity Questionnaire (disclosure of outside office or employment) on an annual basis.